Though you might like a picture of where the magic happens! Well, to be honest I make most of the birds on a sofa in front of Desperate Housewives...and the table has only been there for a week (thanks to the ILVA closing down sale)...but it is a real loft!
As so many of you mentioned gingerbread-related disasters and blobby-looking men I thought I'd post my perfect gingerbread recipe. It's never failed me, even when I've used different types of sugar:
350g / 12oz plain flour
4tsp ground ginger
110g/ 4oz butter
175g/ 6oz soft light brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
1) Sift flour, bicarb and ginger into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
2) Beat golden syrup and egg together in another bowl.
3) Pour syrup mixture into the well, mix to a dough and then knead until smooth.
4) Divide in half and roll out to 5mm thickness. As I always go a bit mad with the syrup, quite a bit extra flour is needed to stop the dough sticking to the bench. Cut out men and decorate with currants.
5) Bake for 12-15 minutes at 190 oC (although mine never exceed 8 mins.)
6) Make yourself a nice cup of tea and enjoy :)